Do you get married in China first?

Got questions about the Chinese Wedding ceremony or getting engaged? Have a story to tell about a memorable Chinese wedding you attended? Here's the place for you.

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

Steven
Chnlove.com Member: Y

Do you get married in China first?

Postby Steven » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 am

Do you have to marry in china before her comming to U.S. and getting married in the U.S. or can you just get married in the U.S. after she gets here?

Shawn

Re: Do you get married in China first?

Postby Shawn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 am

No you do not have to get married in China first. But it is something that should really be discussed with the girl. There are benefits to doing it each way. If you marry in China you will need to obtain a k-3 (spousal) visa for her to come to the US. If you just become engaged to her then you can apply for a k-1 visa (fiance visa) for her to come here.

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 am

You have two options to bring your girlfriend over from China. It depends on where you will be marrying
her. If you want to marry her in the U.S, you could file a alien fiancee petition(k1 petition). K1
petition is a nonimmigrant petition. That means your girlfriend will be entering the U.S. with a
nonimmigrant K1 visa. You need marry her within 90 days after her arrival in the U.S
However, if you want to marry her in China, you need file an alien relative petition (I-130 petition).
I-130 petition is an immigrant petition. Your wife will be entering the U.S. with an immigrant visa. That
means she receives U.S. lawful permanent resident status on the day of her arrival in the U.S.

Carl

Postby Carl » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:15 am

I have a question. Why couldn't you get married in China to keep her family happy and then come back home, forget you got married in China and apply for a k1 visa to get married here at home? That way the family is happy and you could feel a little more secure that she was only yours. I don't suppose immigration checks everyone who files for a k1 visa to see if they are already married or am I wrong?

dave d

Postby dave d » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Carl be very careful about the question you asked. reguardless of the visa type she will still have to go thru the interview process at the embassy or consulate in China. She will have to provide police certificates and other family documents for the interview. if you got married in china it would be hard to cover up as they make changes to her family register at the time of marriage registration. It would be very hard to just forget about getting married, it would also be a reason to denie her visa. So think about it carefully. Also be advised that if you get married in China, new regulations at the National Visa Center in the states; they have done away with the K-3 spousal vise You now file for a CR-1 immigrant visa. There is a lot more paper work now that the dept. of homeland security is involved (go figure). The time frame is about 6 to 8 months. I'm going thru this process now will let you know how it goes.
Dave

Return to “Wedding in China”