What is the cost of holding a wedding in China?

Got questions about the Chinese Wedding ceremony or getting engaged? Have a story to tell about a memorable Chinese wedding you attended? Here's the place for you.

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

James
Chnlove.com Member: Y

What is the cost of holding a wedding in China?

Postby James » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:13 am

I am considering marriage with my lady, she lives in Zhuhai. My question is, what is the cost of holding a wedding ceremony there, I prefere a small one probably. And, are there special conventions to welcome the guests? :?:

Oliver

Re: What is the cost of holding a wedding in China?

Postby Oliver » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:23 am

I too, plan to get married with may lady when I am coming to China by next January. She told me I need to give a certain amount of betrothal money to her parents, which is to show my gratitude in marrying their daughter. Of courese I would give anything to make her my wife, and I do apprecaite their effort bringing up such a wonderful lady. Anyway, will make a decision and detail all the cost when I meet her in person. I am serious towards marriage, so first I will have to be sure our relationship can work out after then meeting, then I will try my best to give her a most memorable wedding ceremony.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:26 am

If you are asked to pay a dowry to the parents, do not be offended. If you are asked for something exorbitant such as $10,000, do not pay it. Just explain that this is not a custom here. Actually, it is no longer a custom in China either. Elderly parents often do not understand that Americans do not have this kind of money and they may not realize how much this is. If this happens and causes you concern, These thing you can be worked out. The idea is to remain calm and do not think your fiancee is just trying to get money from you. I would just offer them a handshake and a free trip to the airport to watch you leave with there daughter.......that was a joke. I would give $50.00 US and call it good enough. thats like over $400.00 Chinese.

Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:42 am

Betrothal money or lucky money in Guang xi is 1000CHY

Return to “Wedding in China”