Is there an engagement period / custom in Chinese Culture ?

Have more knowledge of Chinese culture and tradition, you will find it interesting and helpful for the smooth communication with your Chinese lady!

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

Jerry
Chnlove.com Member: Y

Is there an engagement period / custom in Chinese Culture ?

Postby Jerry » Mon May 07, 2012 12:36 am

for example, living in states I would live with someone for a year or so, then be engaged for another 6 months to a year, then marry. at the start of the engagement period when I ask her to marry me I would present my bride to be with a ring. is the same in China ? if so, I think ideally I would ask my lady for her hand in marriage at the end of my 1st or 2nd vist and give her a ring then marry her on the next trip. am I correct in this thinking ? I have not seen anything about this posted anywhere here so I dont even know if there is such a thing as an engagement or do people just jump straight to marriages ? any detailed info is appreciated.

Dean

Re: Is there an engagement period / custom in Chinese Cultur

Postby Dean » Mon May 07, 2012 3:24 am

Jerry, you need to mature and show compassion for your lovely lady as mature adult. Your lady wishes to be part of your everyday life like your shadow who breathes, and live the same as you.
Your question is best answered by talking to you lady, and excellent translator.

Steve41

Postby Steve41 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:01 am

Jerry,

Your question is a little perplexing.

If you were to ask someone to marry you here, would you have a ring ready to give her? If so, why then, would it be different in China?

Women, are women, are women. Doesn't matter if from the States, Europe, Africa or China. If they are engaged, they want to show off their ring to their friends, and in China brother, they REALLY want to show off that ring! Also, if you ask a woman to marry you without a ring, you run the risk of having her "lose face" if she says she is engaged and not wearing a ring. My advice brother, bring one with you! If she says "yes", she's going to be looking for a ring.

As far as the period of engagement goes, that my friend will be up to her. Have you discussed this issue with her? It's different then doing this with someone at home. Ask her, she'll be more then willing to explain what she wants. Just wait until you discuss money the first time....brother, be ready for some aggrivation! HA Ha

Just my two cents!

Jerry

Postby Jerry » Mon May 07, 2012 5:11 am

You guys completely misunderstood, or perhaps I did in my research. I have read that the bethrothal ceremony is a couple days before the wedding, and it doesnt involve rings like in the west. So I was just wondering about that and hoping someone with some experience on this might shed some light on this situation for me. But at any rate, I'll find out from the ladies then.

Return to “Chinese Culture & tradition”