Any advice about traditional formalities?

Have more knowledge of Chinese culture and tradition, you will find it interesting and helpful for the smooth communication with your Chinese lady!

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

Noah
Chnlove.com Member: Y

Any advice about traditional formalities?

Postby Noah » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 am

I just read through a bunch of topics on this forum, and it has been very enlightening! It seems as though the average Americans manners would shock the Chinese. Is it as complex as it sounds? I am going to visit China, and now Im like "Oh no!!!" Do I need to wait longer so that I am more qualified and knowledgable in their ways? Is it really so easy to utterly blow it, if one is not very careful??? Noah

Terrance

Re: Any advice about traditional formalities?

Postby Terrance » Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 am

I don't think you need to be too concerned. I would recommend that you brush up on some of the more common curtesies, but Chinese people are very forgiving if you make an honest mistake. Besides, one thing you have to consider. It is better to be honest with your lady when you meet rather than reveal who you really are after you get together.

There are some free web sites which list some common customs if you look for them. Unfortunately I recently had an HD failure, and I haven't had a chance to go into my archives to look, otherwise I could point you in the right direction. Maybe once I recover my files I will post the link.

Steve41

Postby Steve41 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:08 am

Hi Noah, If you are honest and sincer I am sure minor glitches will be ignored. =) But the more you learn about Chinese manors and culture the happier your lady will be.

William

Postby William » Thu May 10, 2012 6:18 am

Not to worry, your hosts will be very tolerant of any faux-pas you may honestly blunder. The single best thing you can do is to learn a few (more is better) words of Chinese. You will have them howling in laughter if you try to mimic their utterances (notwithstanding you are clueless what it means) as a show of being willing to learn. Just smile cheerfully, be respectful, be willing to make mistakes and laugh at yourself, and follow their lead.

Return to “Chinese Culture & tradition”