Is there a festival in China that equals valentine's day?

Have more knowledge of Chinese culture and tradition, you will find it interesting and helpful for the smooth communication with your Chinese lady!

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

George
Chnlove.com Member: Y

Is there a festival in China that equals valentine's day?

Postby George » Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 am

I was told that Chinese people also have a kind of festival to celebrate eternal love or devoted relationship, just like the valentine's day in US. But what exactly does this day fall on around the year, and, how comes this festival? Any beautiful legend or special meaning?

Stanley

Re: Is there a festival in China that equals valentine's day

Postby Stanley » Thu May 31, 2012 2:16 am

Well, I guess you were mentioning "Qi Xi Jie", which is also called Chinese Valentine's Day. Actually, this festival comes from a legend between NiuLang and ZhiNv and their love story is so touching that it passed from the good old times till today.

Each year on the 7th Day of the 7th Month of the lunar year, people will look up and search the sky where ZhiNv can be found in the star Vega east of the Milky Way, and for her beloved NiuLang, who steadfastly waits for her in the constellation Aquila, west of the Milky Way. Also on this day, magpies are spreading their wings to form the bridge in the heavens to reunite the couple once again..

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu May 31, 2012 5:45 am

Actually, many People in China will also celebrate the Lantern Festival as the Chinese Valentine's day : )

This festival falled on the 15th day of the First Month of the Chinese Year, marks the end of the New Year's Holidays. It is also called Yuan Xiao Jie. Traditionally, the date once served as a day for love and matchmaking. It was one of the few nights without a strict curfew. Young people were chaperoned in the streets in hopes of finding love. Matchmakers acted busily in hopes of pairing couples. Often, those with brightest lanterns were a symbol of good luck and hope. As this traditions pass on, the Lantern Festival is celebrated as the Chinese Valentine's day between lovers.

Other popular activities at this festival include eating tangyuan, and guessing lantern riddles, often messages of love. Personally, I love the taste of tangyuan pretty much. It's kind of sweet and sticky, a taste of love and joy. It'll be wonderful to share with your beloved... Hehe : ))

Douglas

Postby Douglas » Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 am

I have briefly heard the story behind this love story and it is a beautiful one. The Chinese holidays there in China from what I understand are seemingly becoming more Americanized. Don't let your traditions of the American point of view ruin the ones you have in place there. The people here in the USA don't have the sense to learn about the past and could care less about it. KEEP YOUR TRADITIONS ALIVE!!

Return to “Chinese Culture & tradition”