How about Teaching English class in China?

Have any suggestion, feedback to improve Chnlove.com? Let us know! With your participation, we are going to make love miracles happen here.

Moderators: Steve, Max, marko

John
Chnlove.com Member: Y

How about Teaching English class in China?

Postby John » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 am

Hey guys I have been thinking about going to China to teach English at one of the university's and was wondering if anyone else has done this that is from this site. It will give me a great opportunity to learn more Chinese and their culture, also it will give me more time time to spend with my lady and to get to know her and her family better. Does anyone have some knowledge on this matter? I know that China is really wanting Americans English teachers.

Steve

Re: How about Teaching English class in China?

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 am

You can go to China to teach English. However, you will first need a bachelors degree in any field. As long as you have that piece of paper, you're good to get a job there. Next, you'll need to find someone to employ you over there. Most of the time you can contact an agency that can handle the finer details for you. They do offer some good pay, but have to look to find them. Two that I can recommend are World Teach and Tiger English. Most agencies that you will want to deal with will cover part of the cost for you, or at least reimburse you. The school will usually cover your work visa, housing, meals, utilities in some cases, and pay you a very good wage. The lowest offer I have had from a school in China was 13000 RMB per month, which equals about 1600 USD. There is another school that is will to pay me as much 85000 RMB per month, which comes out to nearly 13000 USD. So, my advice to you is to do your research and check the background of the school and the agency you are looking at. There are some agencies out there that will tell you that you do not need a degree or photo ID, but the Chinese government absolutely requires you to have a degree in order to teach there. So be careful, and good luck. If you have any other questions, I'll be looking in occasionally.

Declan

Postby Declan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:27 am

I would also like to teach english as a foreign lanuage in china, but much to my annoyance, you do have to have a bachelor degree and it would help if you had a TEFL or ESL or perhaps a CELTA diploma , here is a link to showing what most employers are looking for :

http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id ... 6d5bd41761

John

Postby John » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 am

Hey guy, thanks for all your information, I think there are many great thoughts on this matter. I think the economy is poor all over the world. Maybe after is receive my minor in Chinese mandarin then I will be able to make a better decision. I have found out from the Beijing university that if I have a level 3 or higher on the HSK test that I will make more money because of my knowledge of Chinese I will be able to explain more, than an American that knows nothing. (More useful)It is hard to teach English to the Chinese without not understanding both languages. When I come to China I will continue my studies in Chinese and maybe seek a degree in Chinese and Chinese studies. No matter what I am sure I will have a great time and improve my understanding of Chinese culture. I know a teacher that taught in China for 2 years and he did not learn Chinese, I tried to talk to him in Chinese and he did not know what I was saying, but his Chinese friend told me that I spoke very well and understood me.

Return to “Site Suggestion, Feedback & Others”